Monday, July 25, 2011

True Love

I witnessed a real life true love story yesterday.


I went singing at a retirement home with some friends yesterday.
There were so many stories I could tell about the experience!
About Hallie, with her bird, Precious, who came to her in a moment of need and basically saved her life.
About Sally, who told me exactly what I needed to hear. She also told us about her amazing son afflicted with dwarfism.

And then there was one room...
The wife had Dementia. Her granddaughters asked us to come sing to her. Turns out music was her entire life. She had learned to play the organ in the tabernacle. She had been her ward organist for 40 years. When she was asked a question, she would answer with nonsense sentences, but when we sand she kept the time of the music with her foot. Her husband sat by her bed and told us her favorite hymns.

Now comes the love part.

After we sang to this lady, we visited another room. After that room, we walked back into the hallway and I saw this wonderful woman's door was closed. Her husband was sitting in the lobby, the television on mute. He was listening to a song from a cd player. One guess what the song was.

"I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places that this heart of mine embraces..."

I KID YOU NOT. HE WAS LISTENING TO THE SONG THAT IS IN THE NOTEBOOK.

It was a really life Notebook story!

And I just thought: This wasn't a movie. It was real life. It was happening. This man stays with his wife even though she struggles. He loves her anyway. It was selfless, true, true love.

The kind of love we all want to have someday.




1 comment: