Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wait... Life is More Than School?

I forget (very) often that life is about more than getting a good grade.

I know, I know. Everyone says "It's not about the grades! It's about if you are doing your best." Yeah, sure. But if you're trying to get to the Ivy League, your best better be straight A's, constant service, a really amazing personality, and being pretty much perfect.

As we learned, I'm really, really good a failing when I try to do these things.
But it's my dream to get to an Ivy League University, so I try. (And every once in a while I get that sweet taste of success.)

Lately I started an actual hobby. Why? Because I really wanted to do it. Not for scholarships or applications, but because it's something I love to do.
I've come to realize life is more about doing the things you love than going through a list of things you hate in order to get to something that you want.

I've seen this done on a couple of blogs, and I'm gonna give it a go:

18 before I'm 18:
1. Go to the temple at least 40 times. (Shoot for 50!)
2. Go to a BYU football game.
3. Create a mini cook book.
4. Achieve consistently legible handwriting. (....Pray for me.)
5. Do something I'm terrified to do.
6. Start a hobby that will benefit me later in life.
7. Put one of my poems on my blog.
8. Write to a missionary.
9. Go to a midnight premier of a movie. (One of my favorite things.)
10. Learn to paint my own nails. (Pathetic, I know.)
11. Actually finish learning a new song on the piano.
12. Get to my pointe shoes.
13. Reach 50 blog followers. (Help me with this, please?)
14. Introduce myself to a cute stranger.
15. Watch all of the Rocky movies.
16. Choose a number one favorite movie, book, song, and historical figure.
17. Compile a mini scrapbook of my favorite moments in my life.
18. Write out my testimony.

Guys. I'm 9 readers away from accomplishing Thing #13. I've never asked if you could spread the word about my blog. I don't have a button or anything of the sort. I'm a word of mouth type of girl.
But... pretty please?
It is my birthday month, after all.

And then maybe I'll post some pictures and tell the story of Homecoming. :)

Anyway, I guess I'm adding this to my personal philosophies:
1. Things Are Never As Bad As They Seem. (TANABATS)
2. DFTBA.
3. Life is more than a list of achievements. If that's how you look at it, then you will never be truly satisfied.





1 comment: