Thursday, December 15, 2011

Cliché.





We're all in such a rush to be original that we forget how cliché ever became cliché.

All the hipsters are cliché. All the models and the movie stars are cliché. Pushing the envelope? That's been done since 753 B.C.

I'm cliché. I wore an 80's style Latin Club sweatshirt and felt like the hottest person at the school. I claim to read more literature than I actually do. I stay up late watching Youtube because I'm afraid to dream.

Whatever you do, be you. If YOU like old fashioned cameras and scarves, by all means take pictures with the camera tilted sideways and a half smile on your face. If YOU really feel a strong connection to shaky voices and weak guitar, then go find another underground band and continue writing your sonnets.

But never, ever be different just to be different.

Maybe someday soon someone will finally have the idea to be original by being actually normal. Normality will reign, and our pop stars won't walk on the red carpet wearing meat dresses. We'll all watch The Brady Bunch and abhor ugly sweaters.

Then we'll all feel so hip and progressive all over again, because we're actually being "Normal." No ones ever thought of that before.

5 comments:

  1. The "Whatever you do, be you." Paragraph. It kills me. So true, stellar work Kimberly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don't bother concealing your thievery-celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: "It's not where you take things from-it's where you take them to."

    lindseyliechty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim,
    This is the post I have written and re-written all over again one thousand and fifty six times until my fingers hurt from typing so I delete it all and go eat out of my freezer.
    Thank you for writing it.
    Someone needed to. (desperately)
    You are WONDERFUL.
    Your writing is WONDERFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am seeing you over the break. Just so you know...Cause I am going through some Kim with drawls. I LOVe this post. Your amazing. And I look up to you in so many ways. Also I am reading "The Truth about Forever," and thought of you :)

    ReplyDelete