Saturday, December 10, 2011

Mi Abuelo


Hi, My name is Kimberly. I have white skin and freckles.

And yes, I'm Mexican.

I cannot tell you how much grief I get about this. "Kim, you're not Mexican!" Really? Why do people think they know my blood better than I do? I qualify for Hispanic scholarships. The cut-off for checking the "Hispanic" box on applications is a quarter Hispanic. I am a quarter Hispanic.

"How is this possible? You're so lying!"

Well, these are my grandparents:


(That's Zach, my grandma, and my grandpa. Please notice his skin color.)

He is one hundred percent Mexican.

I feel like I'm part of a giant Hispanic family, full of brothers and sisters I don't know yet.

I hate when people talk about Mexican immigrants and generalize. "THEY are all thieves. THEY are all taking our jobs." One of those immigrants was my great-grandfather. He came from Mexico. He raised a family. His children went to college. I'm his legacy. I'm living his American Dream. I am so proud of him and I want to honor my heritage.

Hi, my name is Kimberly. I am Mexican.

1 comment: