Saturday, March 10, 2012

Hijacking Your Cool.

My cool has been hijacked countless times, and I'm still learning to cope with it.

Let me explain to you a hijacking situation:
You're young. Say, 13 or 14 years old. Your parents like this really weird British television show. You don't like it because it has terrible computer graphics. Eventually they convince you to watch one about weeping angels. And you love it. And then you watch every single episode ever.
You only know like 4 other people in the world who like this TV show, and 3of those 4 are related to you.

Fast forward three years:
Every. Single. Person. Loves. Dr. Who.

But he was YOURS! He was YOUR Time Lord and YOUR attractive British man and know there are a million girls who are like "Ahhhhh David Tennant and Matt Smith!!"

Your cool was just hijacked.
(This may or may not be a true story.... okay, it is.)


It can happen countless times. Bands that no one knew and now everyone thinks they're wonderful, television shows, clothing styles.

Let's all admit that we're slightly hipster and hate when our favorite things "sell out".

On the flip side, I was 3 years late getting into the LOST craze. If people told me that I didn't like it as much as they did because I didn't see every episode when it premiered, then I would have told them they were absolutely wrong. I loved Sayid and Sun and Jin just like they did.

I guess the point is: when your cool is hijacked..... take a deep breath, and let it go. The fad will end. People will eventually forget about Time Lords and boys with lightning scars and the Girl on Fire. Then you can have them all to yourself again.

In the mean time, embrace all the fan art and wear your Mockingjay temporary tattoo with pride.




1 comment: