Saturday, March 31, 2012

I Don't Believe in Failure.

Okay, that title is sort of a lie.
But I believe the only way to truly fail is to give up on yourself.
The only way to truly fail is to never try.

In 6th grade, I made a goal. I told every single person that I met that I was going to Yale University. When they laughed, my desire only grew stronger. I was determined.

Well, here we are.
I didn't get into Yale.

But let's be honest: I don't really mind. I got into BYU and I got into Boston University.
Rejection always hurts, but if you have the right mindset the pain leaves as quickly as it comes.

I've been prepared for this moment.
Isn't that beautiful?
Every single "failure" I've had has prepared me for this one, and this "failure" will prepare me for something later in life. I believe that wholeheartedly.

I don't believe this was a failure. In fact, it's far from it.

Because of my goal, I pushed myself far in school. AP Latin? I would have never taken it unless I thought it would help me get there. That one class has taught me more hard work and self control than I could have imagined.

Because of my goal, I started volunteering at the hospital. There, I learned what character is and that when you care what strangers think of you, you're only hurting yourself.

Because of my goal, my faith in myself and in my Savior's plan for me grew exponentially. I knew that if I tried my best, the Savior would fulfill his end of the bargain. He'd open the doors in my life that I needed open.

So, is this a failure?
No, not at all.
I tried. And oh, what a success I became.






2 comments:

  1. boston university was always my dream school. congrats on that and byu! both huge accomplishments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're the coolest. i'm so proud of you :) i wish we all had that much courage!

    ReplyDelete