Sunday, April 29, 2012

Brave

"You can't have roots and wings, Mel." ~Sweet Home Alabama

Ever since I saw that movie that phrase has stuck with me.

I've been told "dream big", "reach for the stars", "don't limit yourself", and "if you can dream it you can do it".

I've always thought it was a no-brainer: Why would you ever stay if you had the opportunity to do what no one else believed you could ever do? Why would you ever be content staying in the same place and doing the same exact thing that everyone else did? Why would be want to become a statistic?

Now facing that decision, it's not as clear cut as I always thought I'd be.

To soar, you have to basically be alone. Have wings implies using them. Leaving everyone. It means Skype conversations instead of Sunday dinners. It means looking at pictures on Facebook while you sit in your dorm alone. It means being the minority.
And that's not a bad thing. It's different, but not bad.

To stay firmly planted, you have to stay put for the most part. It means telling people that you had the chance to be brave and to be different, but you decided to pass it up.

As I was in Boston, I kept thinking of Sweet Home Alabama.

"You can't have roots and wings, Kimberly."
 
Maybe some people can pull off having both, but I can't.

I'm officially going to be a BYU Cougar.
I'm staying right here.


Not because I'm scared. Not because I didn't think I could do it.

Because it feels right. Because when I went back East, I realized how insanely lucky I am to live here.
Yeah, everyone does this.
Yeah, I had the chance to be unique.

But really?
Just like one shouldn't make their decision based on fear, one should also not make their decision based on what everyone else thinks.

"That's an obvious choice, Kim. Get out of this stupid Utah county."
That's their opinion, not mine. I, for one, love it here.

People tell you that being brave is simply going against what everyone else does.
That is NOT bravery.

Bravery is knowing something is right and doing it.
Even when that means being like everyone else.
Even when people are going to shake their heads and think you are ridiculous.
Even when that means giving up your wings for your roots.

My name is Kimberly. I'm staying right here in Utah.


And I am brave.

3 comments:

  1. like button.
    I need a friend like you in Provo.
    And we are going to have many, many adventures this upcoming year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly, you are so wise. Thank you for putting into words thoughts and feelings that have been pulling me through the past few years of my existence. I love you girl, you're doing what's right for you which will bring you TREMENDOUS blessings. I Promise. :)

    ReplyDelete