Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Choices I Made Yesterday.

I was six year old, it was September, and I sat on the edge of my school's blacktop. My dad sat next to me, but I didn't look at him.
"You can skip Kindergarten, Kim. You're smart enough. But you need to realize something... if you do this, it's going to change your life for forever."
As he spoke, I looked at my white tights. I picked at the tear on the knee. I didn't understand.
"Change my whole life? Not really. It's only Kindergarten. Not even a real grade." I thought.

And then I chose.
That choice led me to my first grade classroom.
It led me to bad handwriting that never left.
It led me to honors classes starting in fourth grade.
        Those classes led me to beluga whales and Democrats.
Honors classes led me to 7 AP tests and uncountable hours spent on homework.


That choice led me to my friend Christian and our recycling bin.
It led me to drama and Mark Chamberlin and the moon and the first time someone held my hand.
It led me to Mr. Wicks' classroom, lifelong friends, unanswered questions, and true learning.
It led me to The Beatles and Coldplay.
It led me to bright blue eyes and the longest unrequited romance ever.




It led me to New Zealand and then straight back home.
It led me to Student Council.
        StuCo led me to Prom planning and soccer games and my Seniors.




That choice led me to B4 seminary.
       That seminary class period led to after school discussions with Brother Anderson who led me to apple pie.
       That apple pie led me to red hair and lilacs and my first kiss and baseball.
       That redhead led me to true joy and heartbreak and unparalleled growth.
       That growth led me to the temple every Thursday and to Brother Wetzle, my favorite temple worker.






That choice I made on the blacktop over a decade ago changed my entire life.
That choice I made while picking at my tights directed everything I've ever known.
That choice led me here.



"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. So, watch your step."

3 comments:

  1. You know something Kimberly? You have a gift for sharing thoughts that encourage other people to do some thinking of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I JUST WANT TO GRAB YOUR SHOULDERS AND SHAKE YOU UNTIL YOU LOOK AT ME AND UNDERSTAND HOW BRILLIANT YOU ARE. That was beautiful Kim. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. spectacular. not only the concepts, but the writing! the flow! the word choice! I loved it.
    and I'm inspired. to think, like Chloe said. I'm encouraged to do my own thinking...

    ReplyDelete