Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Finally!

When I was four years old, I'd dance in front of my fireplace. My grandpa was not allowed to read the newspaper or even cough and my grandma would be promptly scolded if she looked away once. They were the first audience I remember, and from that time forward I dreamed of being a ballerina.

But dreams are hard to keep alive and so easy to let fall away.
It's so easy to skip classes and give up and take for granted the dance I used to love.
So I quit at age eleven. I was done.

Six years later and thanks to the support of family and friends (especially lovely Katherine), I finally started again.

I danced.
And I failed.
Honestly, I was awful. I'm still not great, but I'm much better than I was.

But I came to love failing! I love saying "Yes, I did that terribly, but I was trying. Watch me get better. Watch me perfect this. Just watch me."

Just Watch.

Yesterday, May 1st 2012, I completed a dream that I made when I was five.

I danced in pointe shoes for the first time.

I have a long way to go, but I cannot tell you how good it feels to have gotten as far as I have.

Hard work pays off.
Eventually.
And how sweet it is.

P.S. It's been a year since I started blogging! Bless my heart, I used colored fonts. I'm glad I grew up, at least a little.  I count the chance to grow up as one of my greatest blessings.





1 comment: