Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Rush

Lately I've been rushing.

Rushing to work.
Rushing home in the poorly-named rush hour.
Rushing to ballet.

My radio is always turned up loud, my windows always open.
Basically I feel like I'm the coolest person in the world.

Today I drove home from ballet and actually turned off my radio.
The wind roared through my window.
In a spur of the moment impulse, I pulled over on the side of the road and simply sat.

I stopped to look at the sunset.
If I looked right at it, the sky seemed almost colorless. A blank slate.
However, if I looked at the horizon, the sky above seemed like a pale purple.

I had stopped for the sunset, but I found much more.
I happened to be right in front of a barn I had passed thousands of times.
A Spanish old-fashioned song crooned from a radio inside of it.
A single lantern hung from the low ceiling.

It was a perfect moment.

We're all just rushing. Going going going like our lives depend on it.
And we're missing life in the process.

When I started driving again, I kept my radio off.
I listened to sprinklers and the birds.

And I saw life.
It was a pale purple.





1 comment:

  1. Thankyou for describing my life.
    This is so..good. Just like you.
    Ps I may or may not be freaking out about your little hero thing over there.

    ReplyDelete