Sunday, July 29, 2012

How to Win Contests

You may recall that I WON a trip to the MLB All Star game.

Reaction from acquaintances: "No way!! That's amazing!!!!"
Reaction from friends: "Of course you did. Who is even surprised."

My friends are used to it. Because, well, my family wins. Quite a lot, actually.

My first memory of winning something is when I was four years old. I was at my friend's birthday party and I guessed the exact number of jelly beans in a jar. Not only did I do it, but I did it twice. Two different jars, hundreds of jelly beans in both. I got both of the numbers right. On my first guesses.

But pretty much the radio is our domain.

I've won  tickets to multiple concerts.
My dad... well, it's amazing. He's won countless CD's, giveaways, concert tickets, (lots of) money. He's won a trip to Disneyland and a trip to New York City (plus Broadway tickets). One of my favorite memories with my dad  was when he came to my school and told me he had won Coldplay tickets for me. It was magic.

How do we do it? How do we win all this stuff?

A lot of it has to do with the phone you're using, or natural ability, or luck.

Here's the secret, though: (and I hesitate to even tell you this...)
You try.

For every contest we've won, we've lost hundreds. For every time the radio station picks up our call, we've seriously called countless times. For every prize we've won, there are dozens that we haven't.

You will lose. You will fail. But you get back up, and you try again. And again. And again. You pull out your phone at every single cue-to-call. You make videos even if you feel stupid.

So for your enjoyment, here is the video that I submitted to win a trip to Kansas City.
It's not good, really. I had never made a video before. The sound is kind of poorly done. I did the video all by myself I snuck around my house and yard. I filmed myself driving. It was a complete secret. Actually, I'm kind of embarrassed to show it to you. But hey, it got me to the All Star game!

This imperfect video won. I tried, and this one pulled through.
Just try. Every single time.


1 comment:

  1. I've decided to start blog stalking you. We are in the same ward, did you know? It shall be an adventure! Anyways, prepare for numerous more comments on past posts.

    - - - - -

    E

    ReplyDelete