Friday, September 14, 2012

What's In A Name



My name is Kimberly.
It is not Kim.
It is not Kimmy.

I go by Kimberly.

The funny thing is--other people have my name, but they aren't Kimberly.
Some are Kim's and some are Kimmy's (bless them).

We share the same name and the same letters, but to me they mean different things.

'Kimmy' is young and flirty, but I will forever be reminded of Kimmy Gibler, the annoying friend in Full House. I have never been, nor ever will be, a Kimmy.

'Kim' is fine. Just fine. Okay, I think it sounds like a girl who was popular in 1988 or something. Kim is what I used to go by. Everyone called me Kim, and I hated it. It's what I went by but it wasn't me. Or maybe it's who I used to be. Kim is blunt, honest, sharp, and fast.

'Kimberly' is who I am on my way to becoming. Kimberly is graceful, elegant, and understanding. To me, Kimberly shows love. When someone calls me Kimberly, I know they care about me. Kimberly also holds Kim inside of her. I think I will always be at least a little bit confrontational, and I hope that I will always be honest.

I'm also Kimbie, KeeBee, Kimlan, Kimbersilly, and Kimurritto. Always, though, I'll be Kimberly.

When I was born, my parents had no problem naming me. They just knew. I was Kimberly Noelle from the start, and I'll be that girl until the end.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet? I don't think so, Shakespeare.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment