Saturday, October 20, 2012

7 Things I Wish I Knew For Freshman Year

I know that some of you readers are still in high school, so I thought I'd give you advice that I was give (or that I wish I was given) before college. For the rest of you, I hope you can be like "Yeah! That's so true!"

So,

7 Things I Wish I Knew For Freshman Year:
1. In high school, stop worrying about what school everyone else is going to. Just because it's the normal school to go to doesn't mean it's a bad school to choose. I've always wanted to be different when it came to college, but I ended up choosing the school 20 minutes away from my house. And I'm so happy that I did. It's the right school for me.

2. Being nice never hurts. Everyone is new together. Everyone is out of their comfort zone. Maybe you hit it off with people that you met on the first day, but keep in mind that your group can always grow. Look for that girl who is standing on the side with her arms folded, looking uncomfortable. Invite her in.

3. Do your homework. Guys. For real? You're in college now. Do your homework, okay? This week everyone was like "Ahhh, midterms!" and I was like "Oh, is it midterms?" I didn't have to catch up on my studying, reading, or assignments. The only test I was stressed for was the one class where I didn't put in the effort. Just do it, okay? You're growing up. It's time to be responsible.

4. Do SOMETHING! Okay, I thought that I would be running around my freshmen dorm, hanging out with boys every night, and being a social butterfly. That's not what I do, because I discovered that I don't like to do that (It's like a giant EFY here, guys). But I do what I like to do. You don't have to do everything, but do something. Join a club. Go to sporting events. Be active in your church calling. Go to concerts, plays, dances. I guarantee that the people who don't enjoy Freshmen year are the ones who complain about how it is so boring when they aren't even putting in the effort.

5. Don't get into a freshmen relationship. I mean, if you're in love... whatever. It's your choice. But know this: Practically the only people who get into relationships right away are the weird ones. Also, when you're kissing in front of your dorm building, we can all see you. And we all hate you.

6. If you're going to tell everyone you meet about how stressful your life is, keep in mind that they are stressed, too. Everyone has homework, work, and a social life. You're not the only one. Gain perspective.

7. Don't let a bad day make a bad life. This is for life in general. Lately I've been trying to learn how to be happy. So far, I think it comes down to two things. 1: Let things go. 2: Express gratitude for everything and relish the good.
Let bad days go. Let bad test scores go. Let bad moods go. Let your pain go.
Live life with your eyes open to the good. When you see it, savor it. Express your gratitude. That's the secret of how to be happy in any situation.

Any thoughts? Anything to add? Advice? Let me know.

6 comments:

  1. I really needed to hear this. I'm a senior in high school right now, and I think I'm finally deciding on the college I want to go to. But aside from that, I'm a total worry worm. I find myself causing way more stress than there needs to be by getting really tense over things I simply can't control, things that certainly don't matter, and things many many man miles down the road. ^this would be one of those many worries. I'm just afraid that college won't be everything everyone says it is. But I guess I get to make it my own experience right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I just have one question about this one, #5 makes sense, but why would hate be involved?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lexi-So far, I've discovered that college is really what you make it. And I don't think you can ever really expect and plan for everything, you know? But what happens is always better.

    Riley- It was just for humor. :) It's just not enjoyable to watch people make-out, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I nominated you for an award on my blog, but totally don't feel like you have to participate if you don't want to. :)

    http://ashnshae.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very true, but that's when squirt guns or your best friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog through Ashlee's blog... it is so fun and cute! I am now following! I'd love for you to check out mine and follow back!
    Kal
    www.kalleemae.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete