Saturday, November 24, 2012

Wait.

I'm finally beginning to understand
the splendor of waiting.
I'm beginning to understand
that we all need to slow down.
I'm beginning to understand
what makes me happy, and why it's worth waiting for.

All of my life, I've had to wait.
Being the most impatient person that I know, this is a monumental struggle for me.

Because I jumped the gun and skipped a grade, lots of my waiting comes from my age.
Wait to go to school.
                     Wait to turn 8 and be baptized.
        Wait to turn 12 and go to mutual.
                                             Wait to turn 14 and go to dances.
                               Wait to turn 16 and go on dates.
   Wait to turn 18 and be able to vote.
                                                    Wait to turn 19 and go on a mission.

Wait.

I'd get upset in the smallest instances of waiting. Waiting for my turn to do baptisms for the dead in the temple (read more here). Waiting in line at the grocery store when the next line over is moving faster. Waiting for a text, waiting for my turn in a game, waiting.

The irony of gaining patience is that to gain patience you must have patience.
The only way to be alright with waiting is to actually wait.


Can I tell you something?
Nothing is as sweet
as waiting for an hour and a half in the house of the Lord.
as listening to another instead of wanting to speak.
...as finally, finally hearing from someone that you love. 

Because if I never had to wait, I'd never see His splendor. And those five sentences he sent would never mean as much to me as they do now.


1 comment: