Thursday, November 7, 2013

*Insert Clever Title Here*

 Hi all! As I write this I am shaking because I got some pretty crazy emails. Some sad, some really happy, and some plain ridiculous. Kelsie and Zach, where were yours?

Okay so I want to start with this super cool experience.
On Sunday we learned about saying specific prayers. We had a devotional where we were told about the story in Genesis about Abraham´s servant praying about finding Issac a wife. And he prays for something to happen and then that exact thing happens! It´s Genesis 24 if you want to read it. Anyway, so that was wonderful. That night, I had probably the most frustrating time I´ve had out here. I was really, really impatient. It was dumb. Most of all, I was just so disgusted with myself because I couldn´t control how stupid I was being, even thought I realized it. My heart was beating so fast and I was so worried I wouldn´t be in bed on time! So stupid, I know. Anyway, so I was finally laying in my bed (and yes, I got there on time because I blazed) and I decided to say a specific prayer. I prayed that today, November 7th, I would check my email and there would be one from Brother Anderson that would give me the strength to try to overcome my abundant weaknesses. And God loves to be predictable, so you know how this ends. I checked my email today and there was an email from Brother Anderson. It said exactly what I needed to hear, and it was sent the night that I said my specific prayer. GOD IS SO GOOD! If there is something you cannot do for yourself, ASK HIM WITH FAITH! HE WILL CARRY YOU!!! So I am so grateful for inspired messages, the Holy Ghost, prayer, and other people that listen to the Spirit. 

How cool is that?
Okay so there was another big spiritual experience that happened this week. Hma Bain and I were teaching our investigator, Christian. Hermana Bain was super excited about the lesson and kind of just took off. Her Spanish was beautiful, but I wasn't getting a chance to speak. But I was trying to pray for her and stay supportive. We were kind of just going through the gospel of Christ and it was good, but when she turned to me to talk about the Holy Ghost, the words stuck in my throat. It was like there was a road sign inside my head saying "This is NOT what you need to say right now!"So I just turned it back to her. Threw her under the bus. I know, I'm awful. But she asked him again how he felt when he read the Book of Mormon and he said "Bien." And that's when it happened. In Spanish, I basically said "Christian, the Book of Mormon is  more than just a good thing. It is not just something we can sort of have in our lives on the side. The Book of Mormon is the word of God. It is how we know that this church is true, and when we know that this church is true we know that God loves us. We know that He speaks. We know that Christ paid the price for our sins and we can be clean through the atonement. We know that baptism is crucial. Do you believe that the Book of Mormon can lead you to know all these things?"and he said yes. So I asked him to be baptized in two weeks and he said yes!!!! It was like I wasn't even talking. Ah. The Spirit is amazing and I am so grateful I get the opportunity to teach with it if I am worthy.

So one of my favorite BYU talks is Unleashing the Dormant Spirit by Elder F. Enzio Busche. There is a great part in it and I wrote it out and I stick it under my watch so I can look at it throughout the day and memorize it. It says: "Yes. I AM a disciple of Christ. I'm willing to sacrifice my own will, my habits, attitudes, and selfish desires, and endure the hurt and the pain that such reflections cause, and bring to him as a sacrifice a broken heart and a meek spirit." I am kind of obsessed with it. Are you all willing to be that disciple of Christ?

I am trying to notice how I feel the Spirit here. I think part of it is that I like to greet people! I don't avoid eye contact. I smile joyfully because there is joy in my heart! I definitely think it is a gift of the Spirit and I pray that I can retain it.

Also, I used to wonder why the scriptures say "Bridle your passions."Isn't it good to be excited about things? Yes, it is good, but it is talking about being subject to your changing moods. Sometimes it feels like we can't change our moods or like they are the most real part of us. Not so! Our will is stronger! Bridle your passions and direct your emotions for good!

1. What do you put on your tacos to make them so nummy???
Beans. Rice. Spicy salsa. The meat of the day. I don't know why they are so, so good. But seriously they are heaven. I am trying to limit my intake, actually. I only have one a day now and then I go bike/run for 20-30 minutes and then do an ab workout

2. Have other missionaries you know written you? (Kara??)
Yes, Kara writes me and I love her so much! This week I heard from Elder Garlick which was super exciting

3. Can you give us a very basic daily schedule?
All our days are basically the same, so sure!
6:30-wake up.
7:15-Breakfast
7:45-Personal Study. Focus on the investigator.
8:45-Progressing Investigator.
9:45-Language
10:45-Coaching. This is about a fundamental of teaching or whatever we need help with
11:45-Companionship Study
12:15-Lunch! Best meal!
1:15- TALL. That is studying the language on the computer. Want to know something amazing? I am not even tempted at all to use the internet when I am on the computer ever day!
2:15-Companionship Study
2:45-Language study. I read the BOM outloud in Spanish for a half an hour each day. Some of the native workers have told me that my accent is really good!
3:55- Gym. I work out or play volleyball
4:45-Shower
5:15-Plan
5:45-Dinner
6:30-Progressing investigator
7:30-Coaching
8:30-Language
9:30-Go home
10:30-Lights out.

And that's every day. I did that all from memory because I have to write it in my planner every day! But I like it. And some days we have a service project and on Tuesday we have a devotional at night. The repetition is good, but it is important for me to remember to always get better.


4. Have you noticed and differences in reading the Scriptures in Spanish as opposed to English?
They are longer! It takes a lot more words to say in Spanish what is said in English. This is why Called to Serve has 4 verses in Spanish and only 2 in English!

5. What is the neatest service you have been able to give so far?
Um.... sheets? Haha, that's all the service-service we have done. But. We told a girl who works in the cafeteria that we would pray for her because she said she was tired. So now we pray for her every day and she is so sweet!

That's all I have to say today. I got my hair trimmed! And I took a picture before I came to the computer so I would have something to send. Oh, and I'll put one on of me and Elder Davidson. We are always so happy to see each other, even if you can't tell by his face.




Love love love love,
Hermana Pellegrini

No comments:

Post a Comment