Monday, March 17, 2014

You can count the seeds in an apple... but you can't count the apples in a seed

Pdayyyyyyy. Oh man  I am just so happy to be sitting at this computer emailing you. :) Ah. I get so excited for these 2 hours!!!

Okay so some really little random things first: On one of our calendars it says the birthstone and birth flower for each month. I always knew my birthstone was sapphire, but I found out that it represents wisdom! And my birth flower is aster or something like that and it represents memories! I was a tad bit creeped out because it was so spot-on. Other random thing: Mom sent me the little pamphlet from the Gilbert Temple open house (thanks mom! I love it!) and I was looking through it. There are only 3 scriptures referenced in the pamphlet, but one of them happens to be John 10:10-- my mission scripture! So I was pretty stoked about that. Also, Presidente Waite was using this really cool fountain pain in our coordination meeting. I asked him where he got it and then he just gave it to me! Oh it is the coolest pen. I was so pleased. :) Okay so I know those little things are only interesting to me... but just in case you were wondering.

Other thing-- you know how I like to balance things on my head? Hermana Martinez puts me to SHAME. She is this pro mexican folk dancer. She dances with jugs of water on her head. It's astounding. So yeah, I'm working towards that. :)

Okay missionary work. That's what you guys like to hear about, right? ;) It's going well! Here's a funny story: Okay so we had an appointment with 2 of our investigators, Teno and Elvira. We were told that this member from Marysville opened a restaurant in our area. Right by Teno and Elvira's house. So we were like "Great! We'll go to our appointment and then we'll go to eat at this little taco place that the member owns." So we park in the parking lot of the restaurant and then we were going to walk across the street to Teno's. But I glance in the window of the restaurant and I see Teno! They weren't at their house for their appointment... they were eating lunch. Where we were going to eat lunch. So we were like... um....... I guess we'll go eat lunch right now? So we go into the taco place and we're like "Hi, Teno and Elvira!" and they're like "Oh! Hi! What time is it? Sorry!" Turns out the member who owns the restaurant is their friend! She is so nice and her name is Betty. She made us tortas and gave them to us for free! There was no one else in the restaurant so she sat down and told Teno and Elvira how much the gospel has blessed her. Accidental member present lesson? Yes yes yes! It was sweet. 

Also, we had an exchange this week! So Sister Goode came to my area with me. She speaks no spanish, but she was a trooper. Also, so proposed best-friendship to me. Oh my goodness we had so much fun. I'll attach a picture. I love her. We laughed the whole day long. She loves Doctor Who and all of the same music that I do. She's the bestttttt.

Last night we went to contact a referral. A guy named Tony opened the door. He had just moved into the house a week before. He. Was. Awesome. He totally understood about the priesthood and he prayed at the end of the lesson without even hesitating! We were stunned. So we have high hopes for him, like we do for everyone. But him especially. He was definitely a tender mercy.

Other than that.... this week was pretty normal and great. I had a dream that one of the members in the branch bought McDonald's. I was excited because all of our investigators could work at this McDonalds and the member would never give them shifts on Sundays. *sigh*. Wouldn't that be great?

Okay please keep asking questions because I obviously don't know what to say without them.

I love love love Jesus the Christ. I love it. So I was reading it and I came across this that I liked: (talking about the analogy of the seed growing secretly found in Mark 4:26-29) "The sower in this story is the authorized preacher of the word of God; he implants the seed of the gospel in the hearts of men, knowing not what the issue shall be. Passing on to similar or other ministry elsewhere, attending to his appointed duties in other fields, he, with faith and hope, leaves with God the result of his planting. In the harvest of souls converted through his labor, he is enriched and made to rejoice. This parable was probably directed more particularly to the apostles and the most devoted of the other disciples, rather than to the multitude at large; the lesson is one for teachers, for workers in the Lord's fields, for the chosen sowers and reapers. It is of perennial value, as truly applicable today as when first spoken. Let the seed be sown, even though the sower be straightway called to other fields or other duties; in the gladsome harvest he shall find his recompense."
I love it because of this quote that President Bonham shared my first day here: "You can count the seeds in an apple, but you can't count the apples in a seed." A lot of times we don't get to see the results of our efforts or influence. I have a vague memory of dad telling a story about how a family was going to get baptized and then he got transferred-- maybe even midnighted out? I don't remember. Anyway now that I'm a missionary I realize how sad I would be about that. But even though he didn't get to report those numbers, his reward is still great in heaven. So I've had experiences where I've given referrals to other missionaries and the person ends up getting baptized. They aren't my investigator... but I get to be a tiny part of their growth. So like the parable that Christ shared, we plant the seeds and then we move on. It isn't going to do any good to stare at the earth and scream "grow! Growwwwwwww!!!" The seed will sprout when it is ready. Sometimes investigators aren't ready... but they will be in a couple months or years. But we planted the seed and that's what they needed. 

Okay so that's all I can think of! I love you all!

Love,
Hermana Pellegrini




No comments:

Post a Comment